Sunday, February 1, 2015

The Cottage Cooking Club - February Recipes


Hope you enjoyed our ninth month of preparing recipes from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall´s “River Cottage Everyday Veg”! We are now at the beginning of February and by the end of this month, we will have prepared one hundred of about two hundred recipes from the book.

Now onto the tenth month and the ten recipes for the month of February:

1. From the chapter "Bready Things":
Magic Bread dough (page 172-74) - N.B.: Choose whichever format you want, breadsticks or flatbread or pita bread to go with the Baba ganoush (page 303)  and/or the Refried beans foldover  (page 190).

2. From the chapter "Hearty Salads":
Celeriac with apple, raisins and parsley (page 107)

3. From the chapter "Raw Assemblies":
Avocado and ruby grapefruit with chilli (page 122)

4. From the chapter "Hefty Soups"
Roasted beetroot soup with horseradish cream (page 144)

5. From the chapter "Bready Things"
Refried beans foldover (page 190)

6. From the chapter "Store-Cupboard Suppers"
Cheesey peasy puff turnover (page 220) - N.B:: A great recipe with frozen peas

7. From the chapter "Pasta & Rice":
Winter stir-fry with Chinese five-spice  (page 288)

8. From the chapter "Mezze & Tapas":
Baba ganoush (page 303)

9. From the chapter "Roast, Grill & Barbecue":
Roasted squash and shallots with merguez chickpeas (page 365)

10. From the chapter "Side Dishes":
Potato Rösti (page 391)


Please remember to leave a comment with your personal choice(s) by February 7th at the end of this post.

Please remember to leave a comment with the link to your blog post on the LYL post by February 28th.

PLEASE NOTE
: Next month will be our make-up month as will will have cooked our way half-way through this lovely cookbook! That will give everybody a chance to cook as many OR as little of the recipes that they have missed so far! Looking forward to that!

Thank you!

23 comments:

  1. No decisions on what to make yet - everything looks wonderful as always - but #5 kale & onion pizza was a selection from October. Not many made it, maybe that's why it's appearing again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zosia, not intended, just an unintentional oversight on my part. It has been corrected - thanks for mentioning it.

      Delete
  2. Well, Andrea, my Mom will be thrilled! She so wanted to have the beet soup!!
    All of these dishes look terrific! I will be back with the "official" list. But I'm sure I'll be making that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Candy, good - so I already have one candidate for the beet soup - I am getting started with "Cheesey peasy puff turnover" - see, where that will lead us...
      Thank you for your kind input - hopefully your Mom will enjoy the soup - do let us know more, please!
      Andrea

      Delete
    2. OK, the official list:
      Roasted beetroot soup with horseradish cream (page 144)
      Cheesey peasy puff turnover (page 220) - N.B:: A great recipe with frozen peas
      Potato Rösti (page 391)

      Of course, plenty more sound delicious! I'll e excited to see what everyone makes!

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Candy - looking forward to your lovely post then!
      Andrea

      Delete
  3. With such a wonderful lineup, it was hard to decide:

    Avocado and ruby grapefruit with chile (page 122)
    Refried beans foldover (page 190)
    Cheesy peasy puff turnover (page 220)
    Winter stir-fry with Chinese five-spice (page 288)
    Roasted squash and shallots with merguez chickpeas (page 365)
    Potato Rösti (page 391)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me know, Zosia! Hope you and your family will enjoy all those recipes! I will put up the P´s and Q´s tomorrow - so we can discuss some of the recipes as we go along.
      Happy February cooking!
      Andrea

      Delete
  4. Hello Andrea and All, Happy February! I, like Zosia have no set in stone decisions yet, but as always, will do my best to prepare as many as possible from the list! See you along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear Peggy, I appreciate you letting me know - maybe we can discuss some of the recipes in the P´s and Q´s this month as we happily cook our way through them!
      Thank you for all your support!
      Andrea

      Delete
  5. Hi Everyone, hope you have had a great month, my selections are as follows:

    Avocado and ruby grapefruit with chilli
    Cheesey peasy puff turnover
    Potato Rösti

    Thanks, Cheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheri, thank you very much for letting me know - enjoy your selections for the month!
      Andrea

      Delete
  6. So excited to see the Winter Stir-Fry with Chinese Five-Spice on the list - our daughter made this recently and said it was so good, and that she is making it again this week. I'll be making the following:

    Avocado and Ruby Grapefruit with Chile
    Roasted Beet Soup with Horseradish Cream
    Winter Stir-Fry with Chinese Five-Spice
    Roasted Squash and Shallots with Merguez Chickpeas
    Potato Rösti

    If time permits, I hope to include:

    Magic Bread Dough
    Refried Beans Foldover

    May I ask, what is N.B. ? ;)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cathleen - sorry about my abbreviation - I learned in law school that "NB" which is Latin and means "nota bene", which in turn means "PLEASE NOTE", can be used in the English speaking world...I heard that so many times, it has become part of me I guess, I do not even notice that I use it! I will refrain from using it in the future. We learned five years of Latin in school, it is just part of our brain...

      Thank you for letting me know about your selections - the P´s and Q´s will make an appeareance up soon,
      Andrea

      Delete
    2. No need to stop using it, Andrea, as you say, it is part of your brain! It's always good to learn something new. Have a wonderful rest of your week! Looking forward to the above recipes. :)

      Delete
  7. Happy February Everyone, My choices are: Refried Beans Foldover; Cheesy Peasy Puff Turnover; Baba Ganoush; and Roasted Squach and Shallots with Merguez Chickpeas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, thank you kindly - enjoy your Februray recipes!
      Happy cooking,
      Andrea

      Delete
  8. I plan to make Potato Rösti, Roasted squash and shallots with merguez chickpeas, and Refried Bean foldover (with Magic Bread Dough). Happy February!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsy, thank you for letting me know - the Rösi recipe is wonderful (no surprise we loved that one) - the other two I have not made yet. We shall see where the month will lead us.
      Happy February cooking, dear friend!
      Andrea

      Delete
  9. Here are my picks for the month - great line up, Andrea!

    1. Magic Bread dough (page 172-74)

    7.Winter stir-fry with Chinese five-spice (page 288)

    8. Baba ganoush (page 303)

    9. Roasted squash and shallots with merguez chickpeas (page 365)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, great picks indeed - enjoy all of them!
      Thank you very much for letting me know!
      Andrea

      Delete
  10. Sorry for being late. I will make bread+beans and the cheesy turnover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good to me, thank you very much Jora - I wonder whether Charlotte will enjoy those peas?!
      Andrea

      Delete